Author Topic: Carbines/Rifles in pistol caliber? Good? Bad?  (Read 3227 times)

Dead

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Ghost Moderator
Carbines/Rifles in pistol caliber? Good? Bad?
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »
I was wondering who has any expience with carbines (or rifles) in pistol cals?  The only one I have any real experience with is a 45 Long Colt rifle that the man Mr. Geoff sold to me (You made my dad REALLY HAPPY, to the point he bought a matching single action)...

Now I have experience with some subguns like the MP5 ans such, but I want to keep this strickly semi-auto, bold action, single shot, ect...

Tell me what you shot, what you like/dislike about them and why you would recommened them or why not.

I perosnally thyikn that these types of firearms are FUN to shoot upclose and personal, not to metion you dont blow too much terms of $$$... I really need to get a 9mm carbine, and then have some fun blasting away in PA.  Anyone have an HK-94 cheap?  Or better yeah an AK in 9mm that takes uzi mags? :)
NRA Certified Instructor
AK Addict #1.
Trainer of a Twin.

9mmMike

• Referee
Re: Carbines/Rifles in pistol caliber? Good? Bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:41:09 pm »
I have a Marlin Camp-9 which is a 9mm carbine.  It is the only real carbine I own.  This thing is really short, under 36" I think.
It is a fast-handling, accurate (for me) gun but it is a blow-back design and it gets very very dirty.  There is a small spring in the receiver that is very hard to not bugger if you take the gun apart for cleaning.
I like to clean my guns after each shoot and this one gets so dirty that even if you're not a gun-cleaner (AK-owner  ;D ), I'd imagine this one would not run too long.
It is also under-sprung for hotter loads but Wolff makes two heavier srpings that really help in this area.  I have the lighter of the two but I seldom shoot anything really hot.
Of all the 9mm carbines of the time, I still liked the Camp-9's the best though.  The others that I recall were the PC9 and the Keltec sub-something-or-other.  There was another really cheap thing out there but I cannot recall the name.

Dave Markowitz

• Booshway
  • Gun geek
    • Blog O'Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 09:50:00 pm »
I have a Marlin Camp 45.  It does get dirty but cleans up easily.  Mine is very accurate out to 50 yards (haven't shot it further) and has been near 100% reliable with ball.  I'd read that they were undersprung, so I installed a Wolff 16# spring, and it ran good.  Then I got to shoot GeekWithA.45's Camp 45 in which he'd put the 21# Wolf spring.  It reduced recoil to almost nothing and made it so that I don't get crap in my face when shooting (I'm a southpaw).

I also have an EMF/Rossi M1892 Short Rifle in .357 Magnum.  It has a 20" octagonal barrel and rifle type furniture, i.e., no barrel band, crescnet buttplate.  The blueing is really nice and it has a super slick action.  .357 from a rifle has a lot more oomph than from a pistol -- the magnum pistol rounds benefit from the longer tubes.  Recoil and noise are mild from the 20" barrel.  I ran some .38s through it and it was like shooting a .22.

IMO, carbines in 9MM and .45 ACP are fun and cheap to shoot but offer little ballistic advantage over handguns in those chamberings.  They are easier to hit with than handguns, though.  .357 and .44 Magnum from carbines offer good power and I'd feel very comfortable using one for self defense or deer hunting.

The Rally Point

• Booshway
    • www.therallypoint.org
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 09:55:23 pm »
I perosnally thyikn that these types of firearms are FUN to shoot upclose and personal, not to metion you dont blow too much terms of $$$... I really need to get a 9mm carbine, and then have some fun blasting away in PA.  Anyone have an HK-94 cheap?  Or better yeah an AK in 9mm that takes uzi mags? Smiley

We do have this new tool called "spell check" with the new software. :-X

Jason Schafer

• Booshway
  • Armed and Geeky.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 11:32:56 pm »
Outstanding, very fun to shoot.  I have a 9mm upper for the AR; it uses unmodified Sten mags.   And you can shoot them at most ranges.

Jason
I may be out of the Marine Corps, but the Marine Corps is in me for life.

Papa G

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 09:29:52 am »
.  There was another really cheap thing out there but I cannot recall the name.
is this it???

http://www.mkssupply.com/

i have read nothing but good about the Hi-Point carbines,  they are 9mm, .40, and they are coming out with a .45acp version soon.
all the money in the world will not buy the wag of a dogs tail.

Abominable No-Man

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:20 am »
Kel-tec makes a pistol caliber carbine that takes Glock mags. Nifty thing is that the whole gun folds in half.

ANM

9mmMike

• Referee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:41:12 am »
.  There was another really cheap thing out there but I cannot recall the name.
is this it???

http://www.mkssupply.com/

i have read nothing but good about the Hi-Point carbines,  they are 9mm, .40, and they are coming out with a .45acp version soon.

Yup.  Hi-point is the one that I could not recall.  Thanks.

Papa G

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »
from Century Arms .45acp on a Lee-Enfield :o

http://www.centuryarms.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=960

guess you need to get a hold of a dealer for a price.
all the money in the world will not buy the wag of a dogs tail.

Jason Schafer

• Booshway
  • Armed and Geeky.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:56:42 pm »
Kel-tec makes a pistol caliber carbine that takes Glock mags. Nifty thing is that the whole gun folds in half.

I have the 9mm version that takes the G17 mags, I wish I could use G19 mags (I think they make a version).

All in all, the Kel-Tec Sub2K is a shooter.  I bought an inexpensive ACE bag at a show that carries the folded up carbine nicely.
I may be out of the Marine Corps, but the Marine Corps is in me for life.